A DEVASTATED dog trainer is calling on owners to throw out an iconic Christmas decoration after it killed her two pooches.
The grieving woman is still coming to terms with the death of her dogs, who died just hours apart after lapping up a poisonous liquid from a snow globe.
Caroline Osbourn’s two dogs, Milo, a 17-week-old Labrador, and Lexi, a seven-year-old rescue dog are believed to have died from drinking anti-freeze on Monday.
The 46-year-old claimed she heard a crash from her kitchen and when she rushed into the room her dogs were licking the liquid from a snow globe.
As she cleaned up the mess, she noticed the clear fluid felt both oily and sticky.
A quick search online said the spherical trinkets often contain anti-freeze.
Little did she know, it would be the last sips of liquid her dogs would take.
Caroline said: “I just can’t believe it, I really can’t, it all happened so fast.”
“I had to ring a toxicology helpline and they said I needed to get them to the vets immediately.
“We honestly thought it was precautionary because we’d acted so quick – the dogs were kept overnight and monitored.
“But the next morning I got a phone call at about 11am to say Lexi had crashed twice and did I want to say goodbye.
“I got in the car and then got another phone call saying Lexi had died and that Milo was hanging in there but he had also started to go downhill too.”
Milo died six hours later.
According to dog welfare group The Kennel Club, anti-freeze is extremely poisonous to dogs and can cause brain, lung and kidney damage.
The group said the liquid can taste sweet making it ‘irresistible’.
Now, Caroline is urging all dog owners to bin their snow globes to avoid their own animals facing a similar heartbreaking fate.
Caroline said: “I had no idea [snow globes] had antifreeze in them.”
“That snow globe was 15-years-old and nothing had ever happened with it before.
“I wouldn’t have had it in the house – We’ve got another snow globe too but I’ve binned that now and I urge others to do the same.”
“Please if you have any snow globes be careful with them, I would not wish this on my worst enemy.”
Following the death of her dogs, Caroline took to Facebook posting a warning about anti-freeze and the tragic consequences it can have.
Facebook users were receptive to her message and posted their condolences.
“Oh Caroline I’m so sorry to read this, I didn’t realise snow globes were filled with anti-freeze – so very sorry for your loss,” one follower said.
“Absolutely heartbreaking for you all, sending so much love and strength,” another said.
One friend said: “I am so sorry for your loss but thank you for raising awareness and saving someone else the horrendous pain you are in.
“Lexi and Milo will be remembered.”