Ohio considered placing lead-safe work practices under state control

In 1994, Betty Cantley’s baby was poisoned by lead during a home renovation after a house fire in Lorain County. 

“I had asked questions about lead in the house, and they said don’t worry about it, as long as you stay downstairs,” Cantley said. “Back then, they said a little dirt won’t hurt. Let me tell you, a little dirt does hurt.”

Early intervention saved Jason from the worst of lead poisoning, but he still has asthma and lifelong problems with his bones. In school, he went through an Individualized Education Program, also known as special education.

Now an adult, Jason is his “normal goofy self.”

“I’m happy the way he is,” Betty Cantley said. “But if we had known back then what we know now, things could have been different.”